IMPRS Magdeburg receives a total of 116 applications
Update: We would like to thank all the 116 applicants from all around the world who showed interest in our graduate school! Applications are currently under review, and the pre-selected candidates are to be informed in the coming weeks.
Please, due to the huge amount of applications, we are unable to provide individual feedback. You will hear from us soon!
The IMPRS ProEng is a structured PhD program which gives talented German and international young scientists the opportunity to earn a doctorate under excellent research conditions, a multidisciplinary environment and close scientific supervision. The program is jointly run by the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems and its partner, the Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg.
At the IMPRS ProEng, we are driven by challenging questions arising from the analysis, design, and optimization of chemical and biochemical processes. You will join students from various engineering disciplines, natural scientists, and mathematicians who perform cutting-edge mathematical and systems-oriented engineering research.
Our research is focused on four clusters:
- Biotechnological production platforms for biologicals, biopolymers and chemicals,
- Efficient chemical energy conversion and storage based on renewables,
- Production lines from natural products to active pharmaceutical ingredients,
- System-theoretical, systems engineering and algorithmic methods, concepts and tools.
We are looking for students with a Master Degree (or degrees equivalent to the German Diploma) in the areas of chemical engineering and bioengineering, systems and control theory and mathematics.
The program is open to all nationalities, and the working language is English.
An extensive curriculum of both scientific and soft skills qualifies our students to lead the next generation of successful scientists and professionals. Furthermore, the IMPRS ProEng supports doctoral students in conducting part of their research at our international partner institutions.
Come join us! Magdeburg is one of the greenest cities in Germany. Massive investments in science and culture are quickly creating an attractive and innovative landscape. Prices are low in comparison to other German cities, and a busy IMPRS social life ensures there is always something going on!
The first stage of our competitive selection process is based on academic performance and two recommendation letters. Successful candidates will be invited for a second stage composed of interviews and presentations in Magdeburg.
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Motivation letter (one page!) explaining why you want to join the IMPRS, what are your research interests, which research group you aim to join and what do you want to accomplish at the school
- Certified copies of your diplomas and grades (in German or English);
- Two reference letters (or alternatively contacts of academics who can send us directly a recommendation of your scientific skills)
- Proof of English proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL exams. In case you graduated at an officially English-speaking program, you are exempted from this demand!).