Idea and vision of the IMPRS ProEng
The International Max Planck Research School for Advanced Methods in Process and Systems Engineering in Magdeburg is a joint initiative of the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems and the Otto von Guericke University. Its main goal is to provide excellent training and PhD projects by following the innovative concept of combining cutting edge mathematical and systems-oriented engineering research driven by challenging questions arising from the analysis, design and optimization of chemical and biochemical processes.
Our vision is that fellows can learn a lot from obviously unrelated engineering areas once the specific problem under consideration has been abstracted. Synergies can be obtained on theoretical, algorithmic, and even software related levels. Many of the processes and systems are investigated both experimentally and with mathematical models, allowing for validation of theoretical considerations as well as providing a stimulus for further analytical and algorithmic research.
A targeted, broad, and well-adjusted curriculum complemented by numerous soft skill courses qualifies our PhD students to meet the requirements of this intrinsically interdisciplinary approach.
- Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems Magdeburg (MPI)
- Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg (OVGU)
with its faculties:
- University of Technology Braunschweig (TUBS)
with the institute:
IMPRS ProEng Board
The development of the research school is mainly directed by the board of the IMPRS which is composed of all participating principal investigators, the coordinator and two PhD students' representatives. Out of their midst, a spokesperson from MPI and a vice-spokesperson from OVGU are elected to underline the close partnership of both institutions. They manage and represent the IMPRS and act as the primary contact person of the school.
Current members of the IMRPS board are:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andreas Seidel-Morgenstern (Spokesperson)
- Prof. Dr. Gerald Warnecke (Vice Spokesperson)
- Susann Triemer (Students representative)
- Jennifer Uebbing (Students representative)
- Stephanie Geyer (Coordinator)
- Prof. Dr. Peter Benner (PI)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rolf Findeisen (PI)
- PD Dr.-Ing. Gábor Janiga (PI)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Achim Kienle (PI)
- Dr.-Ing. Steffen Klamt (PI)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ulrike Krewer (PI, TU Braunschweig)
- Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Marwan (PI)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Udo Reichl (PI)
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Richter (PI)
- Prof. Dr. Sebastian Sager (PI)
- Dr. Matthias Stein (PI)
- Dr. Martin Stoll (PI, TU Chemnitz)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Kai Sundmacher (PI)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dominique Thévenin (PI)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Steffen, Waldherr (PI, KU Leuven)