Jun.-Prof. Dr. Teng Zhou
Process Systems Engineering
- Process and Energy Systems Engineering
Computer-Aided Molecular and Product Design
Machine Learning (ML) for Functional Material Discovery
- Hybrid ML and Mechanistic Modeling for Integrated Material and Process Design
- Artificial Intelligence and Digital Chemistry
- 2005-2009 BEng in Chemical Engineering and Technology, Nanjing University of Technology
- 2009-2012 MSc in Chemical Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology
- 2012-2016 PhD in Process Systems Engineering, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg (OvGU Magdeburg)
- Since 2019 Junior Professor (W1 Professor), Faculty of Process & Systems Engineering, OvGU Magdeburg
- Since 2018 Team Leader, Max
Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems
- 2017-2018 Postdoc Research Associate, Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems
- 2017 Visiting Scientist, Technical University of Denmark (Prof. Rafiqul Gani)
- 2012-2016 Research Assistant, Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems
- 2020 Future Chem. Eng. Scholar, Global Academy of Chinese Chemical Engineers
- 2019 Full Professor offer from School of Chemical Engineering, Tianjin University
- 2019 Top-Tier Article by AIChE Journal
- 2018 Journal of Molecular Liquids Outstanding Reviewer
- 2017 Chinese-German Chemical Association (CGCA) Young Researchers Award
- 2017 Chemical Engineering Science Outstanding Reviewer
- 2016 Highest-level PhD Graduation Honor (Summa Cum Laude)
- 2016 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Students Abroad
- 2015 CAST Directors Award, American
Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 2012-2014 IMPRS PhD Scholarship from the Max Planck Society
- 2012 Shanghai Outstanding Master’s Thesis Award
- 2011 Best Paper Award, East China University of Science and Technology
- 2020- Analysis and Design of Experiments
- 2018- Process Systems Engineering
- 2020 Associate Editor for Frontiers in Sustainability
- 2020 Associate Editor for Frontiers in Chemical Engineering
- 2020 Editorial Board Member for Processes
- 2020 Editorial Board Member for BMC Chemical Engineering
- 2020 Editorial Board Member for BMC Chemistry
- 2020 Guest Editor for Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering
- 2020 Reviewer Board for Sustainability
2013-2016 Executive Editor Assistant, Chemical Engineering
International Scientific Committee, 31st European Symposium on Computer-Aided Process Engineering (ESCAPE-31), Istanbul, Turkey
International Program Committee Member, 14th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering (PSE2021), Kyoto, Japan
Organizing Committee Member, International Conference on Applied Chemistry (ICAC 2021), Munich, Germany
Proposal Evaluator and Project Reviewer
The National Fund for Scientific and Technological Development (FONDECYT Program)
Chemical Reviews; AIChE Journal; Chemical Engineering Science; Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research; Chemical Science; ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering; Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering; Computers & Chemical Engineering; Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering; Chemical Engineering Research and Design; Catalysis Science & Technology; Journal of Molecular Liquids; Energy & Fuels; Molecules; Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering; Fuel Cells; New Journal of Chemistry; Molecular Systems Design & Engineering; Environmental Research; Arabian Journal of Chemistry; Computational Materials Science
1. Zhang X, Ding X, Song Z, Zhou T*, Sundmacher K. Integrated ionic liquid and rate-based absorption process design for carbon capture: Global optimization using hybrid models. AIChE Journal Under Review.
2. Shi H, Zhang X, Zhou T*, Sundmacher K. Model-based optimal design of phase change ionic liquids for efficient thermal energy storage. Green Energy & Environment Under Review.
3. Zhou T*, Gani R, Sundmacher K. Hybrid data-driven and mechanistic modeling approaches for multiscale material and process design. Engineering Under Review.
4. Yang A, Su Y, Shi T, Ren J, Shen W*, Zhou T*. Energy-efficient recovery of tetrahydrofuran and ethyl acetate by triple-column extractive distillation: Computer-aided entrainer design and process optimization. Chemical Engineering Science Under Review.
5. Shi H, Zhou T*. Computational design of heterogeneous catalysts and gas separation materials for advanced chemical processing. Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering Accepted.
6. Zhang X, Zhou T, Ng KM. Optimization-based cosmetic formulation: Integration of mechanistic model, surrogate model, and heuristics. AIChE Journal Accepted.
7. Zhou T*, Shi H, Ding X, Zhou Y. Thermodynamic modeling and rational design of ionic liquids for pre-combustion carbon capture. Chemical Engineering Science 2021, 229, 116076.
8. Song Z, Zhou T*, Qi Z, Sundmacher K. Extending the UNIFAC model for ionic liquid-solute systems by combining experimental and computational databases. AIChE Journal 2020, 66, e16821.
9. Song Z, Shi H, Zhang X, Zhou T*. Prediction of CO2 solubility in ionic liquids using machine learning methods. Chemical Engineering Science 2020, 223, 115752. (Cover Paper)
10. Zhou Y, Zhou T*, Sundmacher K. In silico screening of metal-organic frameworks for acetylene/ethylene separation. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering 2020, 47, 895-900.
11. Zhou T*, McBride K, Linke S, Song Z, Sundmacher K. Computer-aided solvent selection and design for efficient chemical processes. Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering 2020, 27, 35−44.
12. Zhang X, Song Z, Gani R, Zhou T*. Comparative economic analysis of physical, chemical, and hybrid absorption processes for carbon capture. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2020, 59, 2005−2012.
13. Song Z, Hu X, Wu H, Mei M, Linke S, Zhou T, Qi Z, Sundmacher K. Systematic screening of deep eutectic solvents as sustainable separation media exemplified by the CO2 capture process. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 2020, 8, 8741−8751.
14. Yang A, Su Y, Teng L, Jin S, Zhou T, Shen W. Investigation of energy-efficient and sustainable reactive/pressure-swing distillation processes to recover tetrahydrofuran and ethanol from the industrial effluent. Separation and Purification Technology 2020, 117210.
15. Zhang C, Song Z, Jin C, Nijhuis J, Zhou T, Noël T, Gröger H, Sundmacher K, van Hest J, Hessel V. Screening of functional solvent system for automatic aldehyde and ketone separation in aldol reaction: A combined COSMO-RS and experimental approach. Chemical Engineering Journal 2020, 385, 123399.
16. Song Z, Hu X, Zhou Y, Zhou T*, Qi Z, Sundmacher K. Rational design of double salt ionic liquids as extraction solvents: Separation of thiophene/n‐octane as example. AIChE Journal 2019, 65, e16625. (Top-tier Article)
17. Zhou T*, Song Z, Zhang X, Gani R, Sundmacher K. Optimal solvent design for extractive distillation processes: A multiobjective optimization-based hierarchical framework. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2019, 58, 5777−5786.
18. Zhou T*, Song Z, Sundmacher K. Big data creates new opportunities for materials research: A review on methods and applications of machine learning for materials design. Engineering 2019, 5, 1017-1026. (Cover Paper)
19. Zhang X, Zhou T, Zhang L, Fung KY, Ng KM. Food product design: A hybrid machine learning and mechanistic modeling approach. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2019, 58, 16743−16752.
20. Song Z, Li X, Chao H, Mo F, Zhou T, Cheng H, Chen L, Qi Z. Computer-aided ionic liquid design for alkane/cycloalkane extractive distillation process. Green Energy & Environment 2019, 4, 154−165.
21. Zhou T, Jhamb S, Liang X, Sundmacher K, Gani R. Prediction of acid dissociation constants of organic compounds using group contribution methods. Chemical Engineering Science 2018, 183, 95–105.
22. Song Z, Zhang C, Qi Z*, Zhou T*, Sundmacher K. Computer-aided design of ionic liquids as solvents for extractive desulfurization. AIChE Journal 2018, 64, 1013−1025.
23. Zhang X, Song Z, Zhou T*. Rigorous design of reaction-separation processes using disjunctive programming models. Computers & Chemical Engineering 2018, 111, 16−26.
24. Liu X, Zhou T, Zhang X, Zhang S, Liang X, Gani R, Kontogeorgis G. Application of COSMO-RS and UNIFAC for ionic liquids based gas separation. Chemical Engineering Science 2018, 192, 816−828.
25. Bechtel S, Song Z, Zhou T, Vidakovic-Koch T, Sundmacher K. Integrated process and ionic liquid design by combining flowsheet simulation with quantum-chemical solvent screening. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering 2018, 44, 2167–2172.
26. Zhou T*, Zhou Y, Sundmacher K. A hybrid stochastic-deterministic optimization approach for integrated solvent and process design. Chemical Engineering Science 2017, 159, 207−216.
27. Song Z, Zhou T*, Qi Z*, Sundmacher K. Systematic method for screening ionic liquids as extraction solvents exemplified by an extractive desulfurization process. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 2017, 5, 3382−3389.
28. Zhang J, Peng D, Song Z, Zhou T, Cheng H, Chen L, Qi Z. COSMO-descriptor based computer-aided ionic liquid design for separation processes. Part I: Modified group contribution methodology for predicting surface charge density profile of ionic liquids. Chemical Engineering Science 2017, 162, 355−363.
29. Zhang J, Qin L, Peng D, Zhou T, Cheng H, Chen L, Qi Z. COSMO-descriptor based computer-aided ionic liquid design for separation processes. Part II: Task-specific design for extraction processes. Chemical Engineering Science 2017, 162, 364−374.
30. Zhou T, Wang J, McBride K, Sundmacher K. Optimal design of solvents for extractive reaction processes. AIChE Journal 2016, 62, 3238−3249.
31. Zhou T, Lyu Z, Qi Z, Sundmacher K. Robust design of optimal solvents for chemical reactions−A combined experimental and computational strategy. Chemical Engineering Science 2015, 137, 613−625.
32. Song Z, Zhou T, Zhang J, Cheng H, Chen L, Qi Z. Screening of ionic liquids for solvent-sensitive extraction − with deep desulfurization as an example. Chemical Engineering Science 2015, 129, 69−77.
33. Zhou T, McBride K, Zhang X, Qi Z, Sundmacher K. Integrated solvent and process design exemplified for a Diels-Alder reaction. AIChE Journal 2015, 61, 147−158.
34. Zhou T, Qi Z, Sundmacher K. Model-based method for the screening of solvents for chemical reactions. Chemical Engineering Science 2014, 115, 177−185.
35. Lyu Z, Zhou T, Chen L, Ye Y, Sundmacher K, Qi Z. Simulation based ionic liquid screening for benzene-cyclohexane extractive separation. Chemical Engineering Science 2014, 113, 45−53.
36. Zhou T, Chen L, Ye Y, Chen L, Qi Z, Freund H, Sundmacher K. An overview of mutual solubility of ionic liquids and water predicted by COSMO-RS. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2012, 51, 6256−6264.
37. Zhou T, Wang Z, Ye Y, Chen L, Xu J, Qi Z. Deep separation of benzene from cyclohexane by liquid extraction using ionic liquids as the solvent. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2012, 51, 5559−5564.
38. Zhou T, Wang Z, Chen L, Ye Y, Qi Z, Freund H, Sundmacher K. Evaluation of the ionic liquids 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium hexafluorophosphate as a solvent for the extraction of benzene from cyclohexane: (Liquid + liquid) equilibria. Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics 2012, 48, 145−149.
39. Chen L, Zhou T, Chen L, Ye Y, Qi Z, Freund H, Sundmacher K. Selective oxidation of cyclohexanol to cyclohexanone in the ionic liquid 1-octyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride. Chemical Communications 2011, 47, 9354−9356.