Scientific Computing II (Summer Term 2015)
The lecture treats the efficient implementation of numerical algorithms with special focus on modern hardware architectures. Special implementation techniques for Multicore and GPU machines will be presented with higher insight. Distributed computing basics will also be presented.
|Lecture:||on Mondays, 09:15 - 10:45 hrs., G05-300||on Thursdays, 15.15 - 16:45 hrs., G05-313 (even weeks)|
|Tutorial:||on Thursdays, 15.15 - 16:45 hrs., G05-313 (odd weeks)|
No Tutorials on May 7th and June 4th, no Lecture on May 28th. The exceptions are all rescheduled the Monday after (i.e. May 11th, June 1st and June 8th) at 7:30 a.m. in G05-300.
Latest Updates: no Lectures on Monday June 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd. Lecture from 11th moved to 18th, Tutorial shifted by one week for the 4th and 18th. Regular lectures start again on Monday 29. All remaining appointments will be lectures.
Criteria for getting a course assessment:
- at least 50% of all possible points from the homework
- at least 50% of the points in one homework ( on n-1 of n homework sheets)
- demonstrate and explain at least one exercise in the tutorial
Other possibilities to get an assessment will be announced in the lecture.
E-Books see Links section
Rauber/Rünger: Parallel Programming; Springer 2010
Hager/Wellein: Introduction to High Performance Computing for Scientists and Engineers; CRC Press 2011
Sanders/Kandrot: CUDA by Example; An Introduction to Genereal-Purpose GPU Programming; Addison Wesley 2011
- Preface (2015-04-13) and Introduction (2015-04-13)
- Performance Measures (2015-04-13)
- Multiocore and Multiprocessor Systems: Part I (2015-04-20), Part II(2015-04-17), Part III(2015-04-30), Part IV(2015-04-30), Part V(2015-05-03)
- GPU Computing and Accelerators: Part I (2015-05-11), Part II (2015-05-11), Part III (2015-05-17), Part IV (2015-06-25)
- Distributed Memory Systems: Part I (2015-06-25), Part II (2015-06-25), Part III (2015-06-25), Part IV (2015-06-25), Part V (2015-06-25),
- Exercise 1 - Discussion 04/23/2015
- Homework 2 - Handout 04/28/2015 - Return: 05/04/2015 in the Lecture or 05/05/2015 in the Semniar - Discussion 05/11/2015 - Skeleton for Exercise 1: mvp_skeleton.tar.gz
- Homework 3 - Handout 05/12/2015 - Return: 05/18/2015 in the Lecture or 05/19/2015 in the Semniar - Discussion 05/21/2015 - Skeleton for Exercise 1: mvp_skeleton.tar.gz
- Exercise 4 - Discussion 06/11/2015
- Exercise 5 - Discussion 06/25/2015
- http://openbook.galileocomputing.de/linux/ - Linux Book from Gallileo Computing (german)
- http://openbook.galileocomputing.de/shell_programmierung/ - Shell Programming Book from Gallileo Computing (german)
- http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux-Kompendium - Linux WikiBook (german)
- http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_Guide - Linux WikiBook (english)
- http://mrob.com/pub/math/floatformats.html - Overview about (ancient) floating point formats