Job offer from October 12, 2021
The Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems in Magdeburg offers a position for a master thesis (m/f/d) with the topic "Process development for the biocatalytic synthesis of oligosaccharides".
Biocatalytic processes for the synthesis of valuable oligosaccharides are gaining importance in the field of applied synthetic biology. The team for synthetic glycobiotechnology has developed multiple enzymatic pathways for the synthesis of activated building blocks. In a master project, the synthesis will be scaled gradually to litre scales using cutting-edge technologies. Moreover, downstream processes for the purification of the synthesized products will be established. The project is set up very interdisciplinary, including challenges in the fields of biocatalysis and downstream processing as well as reaction analytics and recombinant enzyme expression. We are seeking a highly-motivated candidate with excellent basic knowledge of biotechnology and an interest in developing biocatalytic processes.
The working packages in detail are
- High cell density cultivation for the production of biocatalysts in litre scale
- Enzyme production by using state-of-the-art vector systems
- Upscaling of the biocatalytic synthesis of one selected oligosaccharide
- Downstream processing of the reaction product by chromatographic methods
- Analytics employing ion chromatography HPAEC-UV/PAD
The candidates will have the opportunity to work on key technologies and use state-of-the-art equipment in an international group of young and aspiring researchers. In-depth supervision and training will be provided by MPI staff.
- Background in Biotechnology, Technical Biology, Bioprocess Engineering, Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering
- Good experience of lab works and ideally, experience with one of the following techniques: protein expression, chromatographic methods, biocatalysis, downstream processing
- Structured, independent and conscientious working style
- Teamwork, motivation and interest in applied science
- Exciting research projects and the opportunity to develop key technologies
- First-class supervision and thorough training by our staff
- Gaining valuable theoretical and practical skills in the fields of biocatalysis, downstream processing, enzyme expression and reaction analytics
- Acquisition of expertise in a key technology of the future
Please send your application in German or English and include your CV and transcript of records to the contact.
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
End of 2021 / Early 2022
Tuan Hoang Son, M.Sc.
Phone: +49 391 6754 675
Please note the information regarding the storage of personal data.