Job offer from July 14, 2020
The Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems is offering a master thesis position (m/f/d) with the topic "Upscaling of biocatalytic in vitro reaction networks for the synthesis of oligosaccharides".
Biocatalytic reaction networks for the synthesis of valuable oligosaccharides are gaining importance in the field of applied synthetic biology. The group of synthetic glycobiotechnology has developed multiple enzymatic reaction networks at micro litre scale for the synthesis of oligosaccharides. In a master project, the synthesis will stepwise be scaled to litre scales using cutting-edge technologies. Moreover, downstream processes for the purification of the synthesized oligosaccharide will be established. Including working packages in the fields of biocatalysis and downstream processing as well as reaction analytics and recombinant enzyme expression, the master thesis project is set up very interdisciplinary. We are seeking a highly-motivated candidate (m/f/d) with excellent basic knowledge of biotechnology and an interest in developing biocatalytic processes.
The working packages in detail are:
- Upscaling of the biocatalytic synthesis of one selected oligosaccharide
- Downstream Processing of the reaction product using filtration and chromatographie methods
- Recombinant enzyme production in microbial systems
- Reaction analytics using ion chromatography with UV/PAD detection
The candidates will have the opportunity to work on key technologies and use state-of-the-art equipment in an international group of young and aspiring researchers. In-depth supervision and training will be provided by MPI staff.
- Background in Biotechnology, Technical Biology, Bioprocess Engineering, Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering
- Good experience of lab works and ideally, experience with one of the following techniques: protein expression, ion chromatography, biocatalysis, Downstream Processing
- Motivation, curiosity and team work skills
- Exciting research projects and the opportunity to develop key technologies
- First-class supervision and thorough training by our staff
- Gaining valuable theoretical and practical skills in the fields of biocatalysis, downstream processing, enzyme expression and reaction analytics
- Training on state-of-the-art equipment for biotechnological research and development
- Acquisition of expertise in a key technology of the future
Please send your application in German or English and include your CV and transcript of records to the contact below.
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
September / October 2020
Dr. Thomas Rexer
Phone: +49 (0) 391 6110-375 / +49 (0) 391 6754-676
Please note the information regarding storage of personal data.